LMiller4Susan
Clix Pix
Admin
tonnie_rocca
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

I reach for your hand... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I reach for your hand...   I reach for your hand... - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 6:31 pm

WAMcKinley wrote:
LMiller4Susan wrote:
If Susan sang it to be a religious song then that explains why it didn't get a good reception on AGT

I didn't realize that it hadn't gotten a good reception on AGT. Of course it could be that people were unfamiliar with that song or the musical it came from and were wondering why Susan was so angry, which is so out-of-character for her in much of what she's ever sung in public. I guess I have seen only positive reviews where folks were so glad to hear her using her powerful voice, for a change. Hearing it on the CD will likely change a lot of minds about the song for people who were originally unsure about it. The track from the CD is great!!

Actually, what was going on is some were concerned it would cross as a religious song, but the reception was good. Most newbies thought it was great to hear Susan sing such a tough song and nailed it. I'm glad she did it.

It's one of her strongest songs on her CD so far, we've not heard the all yet, and I would have to say "Return" might be her dark horse on the CD.
Back to top Go down
knudt

knudt

PostSubject: Re: I reach for your hand...   I reach for your hand... - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 4:04 am

tonnie_rocca wrote:

IMHO, Susan's song has nothing to do with christianity or believers, how much some people want to be convinced of that...

It has instead ALL to do with the human condition, we are alone and lost here downunder, and so much longing not to be that.

So for me it's an universal human song.

And I appreciate it for that, apart from the singing, which is superb and beyond (my) words ... Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

Admin wrote:
Yeah, but the loonies have convinced themselves that it's a religious song. Mind you, I'm sure those lot could find some kind of religious meaning in humpty dumpty or something! Rolling Eyes
I disagree. I do think it is a religious song. I have seen the Swedish translation and I think it is undoubtedly religious. The woman, who has been a believer all her life, is now questioning the very existence of god. It is painful for her to even ask the question, but she does. It would be even more painful to her if the answer is no, so she is crying out in despair that god must exist.
Back to top Go down
skywriter

skywriter

PostSubject: Re: I reach for your hand...   I reach for your hand... - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 4:20 am

I think that in its original context, yes, it is a religious song. But without the context, it finds its own meaning, as it should. (We've had this discussion before, about how something can mean one thing to the writer and another to the reader/audience.) If that song couldn't transcend its original context, it wouldn't be a good choice to record--and I think it was a good choice. It's tricky to strike a balance between honoring the original work and making something new and more universal when performing it. But with a song, I think it's necessary, because an audience isn't going to know the original musical or the story's particular conflicts. I think the song stands on its own, however we want to hear it.
Back to top Go down
WAMcKinley

WAMcKinley

PostSubject: Re: I reach for your hand...   I reach for your hand... - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 4:31 am

knudt wrote:
tonnie_rocca wrote:

IMHO, Susan's song has nothing to do with christianity or believers, how much some people want to be convinced of that...

It has instead ALL to do with the human condition, we are alone and lost here downunder, and so much longing not to be that.

So for me it's an universal human song.

And I appreciate it for that, apart from the singing, which is superb and beyond (my) words ... Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

Admin wrote:
Yeah, but the loonies have convinced themselves that it's a religious song. Mind you, I'm sure those lot could find some kind of religious meaning in humpty dumpty or something! Rolling Eyes
I disagree. I do think it is a religious song. I have seen the Swedish translation and I think it is undoubtedly religious. The woman, who has been a believer all her life, is now questioning the very existence of god. It is painful for her to even ask the question, but she does. It would be even more painful to her if the answer is no, so she is crying out in despair that god must exist.

Of course it is. I have always said so, too. How could a song involving a woman crying out for god to be there for her NOT be about religion??! People are trying so hard to have this be non-religious, they're denying the meaning of the whole thing and they're tripping all over themselves in the process. It's ridiculous!! If a song about god isn't religious, then please tell me what it is!! Even a non-believer like me can admit that, while still enjoying and finding meaning in the song. Geeze, Louise!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I reach for your hand...   I reach for your hand... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

I reach for your hand...
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SusaHumor :: Guest Forum :: Guest Forum - Humor & General-
Jump to: