janakimack
Admin
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Strong colloquial terminology?! Empty
PostSubject: Strong colloquial terminology?!   Strong colloquial terminology?! EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 12:26 pm

It would seem that the other forum are now denying that Susan ever swears. She only uses "strong colloquial terminology" apparently! Rolling Eyes 

Back to top Go down
http://susahumor.com
janakimack

janakimack

PostSubject: Re: Strong colloquial terminology?!   Strong colloquial terminology?! EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 12:51 pm

Floooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooor
Back to top Go down
grandmathora

grandmathora

PostSubject: Re: Strong colloquial terminology?!   Strong colloquial terminology?! EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 3:47 pm

ROFL ROFL  bar stool = what?
Back to top Go down
fudgemeister

fudgemeister

PostSubject: Re: Strong colloquial terminology?!   Strong colloquial terminology?! EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 3:53 pm

Fudge?????!!!!!!!?????? Nooooooooooooooo!!!! I think she has been told "fudge" is a no-no! She probably goes to an ice cream shop and orders a hot "liquidy sauce that tastes like chocolate" sundae!

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL 
Back to top Go down
bernicer

bernicer

PostSubject: Re: Strong colloquial terminology?!   Strong colloquial terminology?! EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 4:04 pm

All I know is, if as a child I used strong colloquial terminology, I would have got my mouth washed out with soap. Shocked Laughing
My parents considered strong colloquial terminology, foul language. Cheeky 
Back to top Go down
Clix Pix

Clix Pix

PostSubject: Re: Strong colloquial terminology?!   Strong colloquial terminology?! EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 4:22 pm

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL 
Back to top Go down
nevermore

nevermore

PostSubject: Re: Strong colloquial terminology?!   Strong colloquial terminology?! EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 5:25 pm

She curses like a sailor and anyone who denies it has their head up their ass.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Strong colloquial terminology?!   Strong colloquial terminology?! EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 8:27 pm

Strong colloquial terminology?! Susanc10
Back to top Go down
http://susahumor.com
whisper

whisper

PostSubject: Re: Strong colloquial terminology?!   Strong colloquial terminology?! EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 8:44 pm

bernicer wrote:
All I know is, if as a child I used strong colloquial terminology, I would have got my mouth washed out with soap. Shocked Laughing
My parents considered strong colloquial terminology, foul language. Cheeky 
Same at my house. I was not even allowed to speak in dialect only high German...Rolling Eyes
Surrounding environment has not much to do how one expresses themselves it is the standards my parents set at home for me. My brothers and I were expected not to use foul language even though others did. I too did not allow my kids to speak like that at home either.
Back to top Go down
whisper

whisper

PostSubject: Re: Strong colloquial terminology?!   Strong colloquial terminology?! EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 8:51 pm

Boss that is funny....ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL 
Back to top Go down
Robert the Bruce

Robert the Bruce

PostSubject: Re: Strong colloquial terminology?!   Strong colloquial terminology?! EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 2:24 pm

Excerpt from 'You are awful, (but I like you.) Travels through unloved Britain'. By Tim Moore. Absolutely hilarious anti-travelogue. When he reached Scotland he writes;

"The bus ride was all condensation, diesel and swearing. Scotland appears to have carried through a major devaluation of profanity's dominant currency, the F**k. In the ten minutes before the doors hissed me back out into the cold I heard the word casually piped, murmured and drawled three dozen or so times, by smooth cheeked young bairns and well-kempt old men. And never with the slightest malice or aggression: the Scottish f**k is sprinkled liberally into everyday humdrum conversation as no more than a mild intensifier. As a linguistic condiment it's salt and pepper, not Three-Alarm Wasabi Tabasco."
Back to top Go down
trennie

PostSubject: Re: Strong colloquial terminology?!   Strong colloquial terminology?! EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 2:53 pm

Robert the Bruce wrote:
Excerpt from 'You are awful, (but I like you.) Travels through unloved Britain'. By Tim Moore. Absolutely hilarious anti-travelogue. When he reached Scotland he writes;

"The bus ride was all condensation, diesel and swearing. Scotland appears to have carried through a major devaluation of profanity's dominant currency, the F**k. In the ten minutes before the doors hissed me back out into the cold I heard the word casually piped, murmured and drawled three dozen or so times, by smooth cheeked young bairns and well-kempt old men. And never with the slightest malice or aggression: the Scottish f**k is sprinkled liberally into everyday humdrum conversation as no more than a mild intensifier. As a linguistic condiment it's salt and pepper, not Three-Alarm Wasabi Tabasco."
We are being advised at the other forum that we should not upset our Scottish members by suggesting that profanity is endemic in Scotland.
Back to top Go down
fudgemeister

fudgemeister

PostSubject: Re: Strong colloquial terminology?!   Strong colloquial terminology?! EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 2:57 pm

OMG, yes, nothing is quite so terrible as the word f*ck. But when the most adored member totally tries to destroy the character of several respected members with lies, and then no apology....well, that is something that is just fine over there!No No No No No
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Strong colloquial terminology?!   Strong colloquial terminology?! EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 3:10 pm

They do not want to typecast.......but it is okay to announce and then typecast the U.S. Circlegirl did this.

And on it goes. Susan swears. This is not news. She grew up in a Scottish mining town. This is also not news. I am personally not shocked or saddened by her language, except in instances where it might indicate she is stressed out as at Rock Center. And that is life.
Back to top Go down
Robert the Bruce

Robert the Bruce

PostSubject: Re: Strong colloquial terminology?!   Strong colloquial terminology?! EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 3:12 pm

trennie wrote:
Robert the Bruce wrote:

We are being advised at the other forum that we should not upset our Scottish members by suggesting that profanity is endemic in Scotland.
Yes. It's getting pretty broadly used here, but we were settled by the Puritans they rejected, so we're behind the Scottish/British curve! But we're catching up.

The funny thing is that these patterns are studied. The folks who work for the OED [Oxford English Dictionary] actually track this sort of thing, so to say that vulgarity is used more widely in say, Scotland than in, say, South Carolina or Ontario, has a basis in fact and is not mere speculation as the sensitive are suggesting.

One thing that is being traced now is pronunciations. The British "garage" pronounced like "carriage" is rapidly in decline More are using the US pronunciation "gar AWJJ"
Back to top Go down
bernicer

bernicer

PostSubject: Re: Strong colloquial terminology?!   Strong colloquial terminology?! EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 3:16 pm

The other forum needs a reality check. Not one is insulting anyone, it's just real life. No No 
Back to top Go down
trennie

PostSubject: Re: Strong colloquial terminology?!   Strong colloquial terminology?! EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 3:19 pm

Suzanah wrote:
They do not want to typecast.......but it is okay to announce and then typecast the U.S. Circlegirl did this.

And on it goes. Susan swears. This is not news. She grew up in a Scottish mining town. This is also not news. I am personally not shocked or saddened by her language, except in instances where it might indicate she is stressed out as at Rock Center.   And that is life.
i am beginning to wonder if one of the reasons Susan often seems halting in interviews is because of the effort it takes for her to censor out her favorite, all purpose word before she speaks.
Back to top Go down
trennie

PostSubject: Re: Strong colloquial terminology?!   Strong colloquial terminology?! EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 3:22 pm

Suzanah wrote:

And on it goes. Susan swears. This is not news. She grew up in a Scottish mining town. This is also not news. I am personally not shocked or saddened by her language, except in instances where it might indicate she is stressed out as at Rock Center.   And that is life.
Plus, according to the English stereotype, EVERYONE in Scotland swears and is drunk before 10 AM.
Back to top Go down
Robert the Bruce

Robert the Bruce

PostSubject: Re: Strong colloquial terminology?!   Strong colloquial terminology?! EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 3:28 pm

trennie wrote:
Suzanah wrote:

Plus, according to the English stereotype, EVERYONE in Scotland swears and is drunk before 10 AM.
It's a really unfair stereotype. But, like many, it has a basis in fact: the Scots drink more alcohol per capita than the English, Welsh and Irish.
Back to top Go down
Robert the Bruce

Robert the Bruce

PostSubject: Re: Strong colloquial terminology?!   Strong colloquial terminology?! EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 3:30 pm

trennie wrote:
Suzanah wrote:

i am beginning to wonder if one of the reasons Susan often seems halting in interviews is because of the effort it takes for her to censor out her favorite, all purpose word before she speaks.
I've wondered that,too. But her track record of dealing with random tweeters and others suggests that she is comfortable without using That Word, but, perhaps, the stress of being interviewed triggers the need to use it.
Back to top Go down
bernicer

bernicer

PostSubject: Re: Strong colloquial terminology?!   Strong colloquial terminology?! EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 3:42 pm

Susan also has to speak haltingly because most of the rest of the world wouldn't understand the words that are the normal way of speaking in Susan's everyday life.
Back to top Go down
Robert the Bruce

Robert the Bruce

PostSubject: Re: Strong colloquial terminology?!   Strong colloquial terminology?! EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 3:48 pm

bernicer wrote:
Susan also has to speak haltingly because most of the rest of the world wouldn't understand the words that are the normal way of speaking in Susan's everyday life.
Yet, I think she came in only 5th in the Top Ten List of UK Celebrities who need subtitles. I remember seeing that list.

Here's a reference to other famous Brits who often require subtitles:

Okay, it's from the Express

Cheryl Cole is often mentioned
Back to top Go down
trennie

PostSubject: Re: Strong colloquial terminology?!   Strong colloquial terminology?! EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 4:12 pm

Robert the Bruce wrote:
trennie wrote:
Suzanah wrote:

It's a really unfair stereotype.   But, like many, it has a basis in fact:  the Scots drink more alcohol per capita than the English, Welsh and Irish.  
Well, it's not only as wet as Ireland, it's colder. Sometimes only a dram will suffice.

BTW, I reread Circ's post and actually, she thought it was just fine Susan swore (or anything else she felt like doing), it was the tender feelings of WW she seemed to be concerned about. I single out WW, because he's the only Scot who appears to want Blackburn portrayed as Brigadoon, where the sun always shines and all is bliss.
Back to top Go down
Robert the Bruce

Robert the Bruce

PostSubject: Re: Strong colloquial terminology?!   Strong colloquial terminology?! EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 4:21 pm

trennie wrote:
Well, it's not only as wet as Ireland, it's colder.  Sometimes only a dram will suffice.

BTW, I reread Circ's post and actually, she thought it was just fine Susan swore (or anything else she felt like doing), it was the tender feelings of WW she seemed to be concerned about.   I single out WW, because he's the only Scot who appears to want Blackburn portrayed as Brigadoon, where the sun always shines and all is bliss.
Indeed. I can understand some of the sensitivity - even Monty Python regularly took stabs at the Scots.

Blackburn went through some very tough times and that has its effect - good and bad.

I've dealt with the same stereotypes about Navy kids, Navy housing, Navy towns, etc. And, to be frank, there is a basis in fact for a lot of it. What the hell, I wear it proudly. I am what I am. I remember being in the Sterling Library manuscript room at Yale and one of the librarians there were talking to me about New Haven being a tough town in its day - and it was - but when I told her I was a Navy kid that lived in two states where the schools broke out in racial riots [Virginia Beach/Norfolk NOT being among them, oddly enough] she realized I had a personal understanding of which she spoke!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strong colloquial terminology?!   Strong colloquial terminology?! Empty

Back to top Go down

Strong colloquial terminology?!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SusaHumor :: Guest Forum :: Guest Forum - Revelations-
Jump to: