TxTammy
Clix Pix
Lovin' Every Minute
Wabbit
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next
AuthorMessage

Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quotes on humor and truth   Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 8:37 am

If the shoe fits...buy it in every color!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quotes on humor and truth   Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 9:10 am

Perhaps you find that peace begins to dominate your longings and your fantasies. You yearn to finally reach a place where you want peace more than anything - more than being right, or hanging on to righteous indignation, peace more than cure, peace more than blame. You long for peace to light up your days and soothe your nights.

Hu-Gog
Back to top Go down
whisper

whisper

PostSubject: Re: Quotes on humor and truth   Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 9:44 am

jsm wrote:
Perhaps you find that peace begins to dominate your longings and your fantasies. You yearn to finally reach a place where you want peace more than anything - more than being right, or hanging on to righteous indignation, peace more than cure, peace more than blame. You long for peace to light up your days and soothe your nights.

Hu-Gog

Yes that is it jsm....hug

A person has to have inner peace in oder to give peace, to seek peace and to accept peace ..
Back to top Go down
bernicer

bernicer

PostSubject: Re: Quotes on humor and truth   Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 11:36 am

J. C. Watts
Everyone tries to define this thing called Character. It's not hard. Character is doing what's right when nobody's looking.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quotes on humor and truth   Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 11:52 am

jsm wrote:

Hu-Gog

I'm really liking this Hu-Gog. Possibly you might be willing to share a few more of these soul piercing gems!!!
Back to top Go down
janakimack

janakimack

PostSubject: Re: Quotes on humor and truth   Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 12:01 pm

Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quotes on humor and truth   Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 12:03 pm

janakimack wrote:

Hmmm...Jana ... is that a Hu-Gog quote?
Back to top Go down
janakimack

janakimack

PostSubject: Re: Quotes on humor and truth   Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 12:04 pm

feistyfilly wrote:
janakimack wrote:

I doubt it but the cat is very comfy on my lap so I'm tooooo lazy to look it up!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quotes on humor and truth   Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 12:24 pm

janakimack wrote:
feistyfilly wrote:
janakimack wrote:

I doubt it but the cat is very comfy on my lap so I'm tooooo lazy to look it up!

laughfloor laughfloor laughfloor
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quotes on humor and truth   Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 2:10 pm

True peace is not in conflict with the search for what's true and right. Wanting peace "more than anything else" can lead to moral apathy, ignoring the injustices in society in the name of not wanting to "disrupt the social harmony" or one's own inner "harmony" or similar rationalizations. Real peace is not the absence of all conflict, nor is it the suppression of all conflict. Conflict is part of the natural process of working things out, figuring out right from wrong, true from false, and working through how to resolve different interests and priorities, whether personal or social. Real peace comes from facing conflict constructively, without either suppression or belligerence. Real peace comes from learning how to resolve conflicts without blowing each other up in the process.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quotes on humor and truth   Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 9:23 pm

BohemianSpirit wrote:
True peace is not in conflict with the search for what's true and right. Wanting peace "more than anything else" can lead to moral apathy, ignoring the injustices in society in the name of not wanting to "disrupt the social harmony" or one's own inner "harmony" or similar rationalizations. Real peace is not the absence of all conflict, nor is it the suppression of all conflict. Conflict is part of the natural process of working things out, figuring out right from wrong, true from false, and working through how to resolve different interests and priorities, whether personal or social. Real peace comes from facing conflict constructively, without either suppression or belligerence. Real peace comes from learning how to resolve conflicts without blowing each other up in the process.

Apparently Hu-Gog wrote this in reference to his own personal and family experiences. In his later years he saw no purpose in holding on to past hurts and grievances and he came to accept that his family dynamics were generally paved with the best intentions. So he believed that letting go of conflict was a legitimate way of dealing with it within his family at least.

He was very concerned about wider social issues and so on, but he resolved to only fight battles that had the potential to make a real difference. He tried to never waste his emotional energy with frivolous matters that were often more about ego, blame, righteous indignation and futile anger than right or wrong. He believed that most conflict was shadow boxing anyway. Presumably this led him to the peace and equilibrium that he wanted. I'll get the quote in here:

"Don't sweat the small stuff"
Richard Carlson

I think he would have tried to live by this adage.

Unfortunately I can't find his name on the internet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quotes on humor and truth   Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 3:02 am

jsm wrote:
BohemianSpirit wrote:

Apparently Hu-Gog wrote this in reference to his own personal and family experiences. In his later years he saw no purpose in holding on to past hurts and grievances and he came to accept that his family dynamics were generally paved with the best intentions. So he believed that letting go of conflict was a legitimate way of dealing with it within his family at least.

He was very concerned about wider social issues and so on, but he resolved to only fight battles that had the potential to make a real difference. He tried to never waste his emotional energy with frivolous matters that were often more about ego, blame, righteous indignation and futile anger than right or wrong.
He believed that most conflict was shadow boxing anyway. Presumably this led him to the peace and equilibrium that he wanted. I'll get the quote in here:

Richard Carlson

Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 9dac9c11Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 9dac9c11Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 9dac9c11Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 9dac9c11

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quotes on humor and truth   Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 3:42 am

jsm wrote:
BohemianSpirit wrote:

He was very concerned about wider social issues and so on, but he resolved to only fight battles that had the potential to make a real difference. He tried to never waste his emotional energy with frivolous matters that were often more about ego, blame, righteous indignation and futile anger than right or wrong. He believed that most conflict was shadow boxing anyway. Presumably this led him to the peace and equilibrium that he wanted. I'll get the quote in here:

Richard Carlson

In the context of petty grievances, I agree. The problem is that I have seen similar words used far too often to gloss over real conflict, and real issues of concern, in order to maintain the illusion of a Happy Bubble in which one can always feel "peaceful," and to mistake this sweeping-under-the-rug for genuine peace. I agree there's no point to holding on to bitterness and resentment, but neither is there a (good) point to pretending everything is O.K. when it is not. And unfortunately sometimes pleading for "peace" ends up being used as a tool for suppression of dissent and of genuine concerns. The trick is to find the right balance between unconstructive contentiousness and equally-unconstructive happy-face denial. Conflict must be dealt with appropriately, but it must be dealt with, not ignored or suppressed or run away from.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quotes on humor and truth   Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 4:51 am

BohemianSpirit "In the context of petty grievances, I agree. The problem is that I have seen similar words used far too often to gloss over real conflict, and real issues of concern, in order to maintain the illusion of a Happy Bubble in which one can always feel "peaceful," and to mistake this sweeping-under-the-rug for genuine peace. I agree there's no point to holding on to bitterness and resentment, but neither is there a (good) point to pretending everything is O.K. when it is not. And unfortunately sometimes pleading for "peace" ends up being used as a tool for suppression of dissent and of genuine concerns. The trick is to find the right balance between unconstructive contentiousness and equally-unconstructive happy-face denial. Conflict must be dealt with appropriately, but it must be dealt with, not ignored or suppressed or run away from."

Of course, I agree that feeling peaceful and having inner peace are different things, and genuine concerns should be dealt with constructively. Actually, I haven't met anyone yet who lives in a happy bubble or even wants to - well maybe in the late 60s LOLflag I've personally never seen anyone pleading for peace and end up supressing genuine grievances either. It would take more than pleading to shut up the people I know Rolling Eyes But I certainly have seen serious, intelligent people strive to find inner peace by becoming aware that their emotions tend to rule their thoughts, and that they can let go of some of the battles they thought were important, without sacrificing integrity, if they are not so ego-driven.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quotes on humor and truth   Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 5:13 am

jsm wrote:
Actually, I haven't met anyone yet who lives in a happy bubble or even wants to - well maybe in the late 60s LOLflag I've personally never seen anyone pleading for peace and end up supressing genuine grievances either.

I have run into this, in a few different contexts, and I was also an ethics major in college, so whenever I see someone say anything along the lines of "nothing is more important than peace," or denigrating "being right," a red flag goes up for me right away. I have seen people argue that there is no such thing as right or wrong, it's all just a matter of opinion, and that is one assertion I will never accept as anything other than a load of B.S. I also have run into the obsessive need to be right over the most inanely trivial matters Laughing so I get what you're saying, too. I just feel it's important to underscore that sometimes it really is more important to establish what's right and true than to "be peaceful" in a superficial sense. True inner peace is more a sense of solidity and groundedness that carries one through the "weather" of conflict and "figuring things out."
Back to top Go down
whisper

whisper

PostSubject: Re: Quotes on humor and truth   Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 1:02 pm

Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic self-hood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be. As we do so, we will not only find the joy that every human being seeks -- we will also find our path of authentic service in the world.
- Parker J. Palmer
Back to top Go down
whisper

whisper

PostSubject: Re: Quotes on humor and truth   Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 1:04 pm

There is an endless net of threads throughout the universe...
At every crossing of the threads there is an individual.
And every individual is a crystal bead.
And every crystal bead reflects
Not only the light from every other crystal in the net
But also every other reflection
Throughout the entire universe.
an adaptation of The Net of Jewels, or Indra's Net, one of the oldest written creations of humanity

- Anne Adams
Back to top Go down
bernicer

bernicer

PostSubject: Re: Quotes on humor and truth   Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 10:00 pm

I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches.
Alice Roosevelt Longworth

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quotes on humor and truth   Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 10:09 pm

I personally can identify with Hu-Gog. Thank you for sharing such wisdom. I would do well to post this on my fridge.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quotes on humor and truth   Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 1:03 am

Peace if possible, truth at all costs.

-- Martin Luther
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quotes on humor and truth   Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 1:13 am

Peace is not the absence of conflict but the presence of creative alternatives for responding to conflict -- alternatives to passive or aggressive responses, alternatives to violence.

-- Dorothy Thompson
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quotes on humor and truth   Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 1:16 am

Conflict is the gadfly of thought. It stirs us to observation and memory. It instigates to invention. It shocks us out of sheeplike passivity, and sets us at noting and contriving.

-- John Dewey
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quotes on humor and truth   Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 1:19 am

I was googling for quotes on peace and conflict and suppression, and ran across my own words. That didn't take long! Laughing

BohemianSpirit wrote:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quotes on humor and truth   Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 1:20 am

Peace is the skillful management of conflict.

-- Kenneth Boulding
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quotes on humor and truth   Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 1:22 am

Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself.

-- John Dewey

study study study study study study study study study
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quotes on humor and truth   Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 1:24 am

Unless both sides win, no agreement can be permanent.

-- Jimmy Carter
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quotes on humor and truth   Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 12:07 pm

If suffering exists, it is not our task to reconcile ourselves to it, but to work for change.

-- Starhawk
Back to top Go down
gday

gday

PostSubject: Re: Quotes on humor and truth   Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 1:47 pm

"Creative minds have always been known to survive any kind of bad training."

Anna Freud
Back to top Go down
fudgemeister

fudgemeister

PostSubject: Re: Quotes on humor and truth   Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 2:21 pm

“It is to be regretted that the rich and powerful too often bend the acts of government to their own selfish purposes.”
Andrew Jackson quotes (

Fan sites, too! No No No No No No No
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quotes on humor and truth   Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 2:58 pm

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Cool

-- Albert Einstein
Back to top Go down
whisper

whisper

PostSubject: Re: Quotes on humor and truth   Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 10:58 am

William R. Bradford
Our lives can become cluttered by many things. Some are obvious, such as material things, the stuff we collect. I really wish I were able to give a lesson on how to prioritize the material things-how to sort them, dispose of some, and put the rest in order-but I'm not qualified... But how well I know that we can surround ourselves with the material things to the extent that we have no time for the spiritual. Look around and you will see all the gadgets and toys and the nice and the fun things that cause us to squander and pay and to wander and play.
Back to top Go down
whisper

whisper

PostSubject: Re: Quotes on humor and truth   Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 11:05 am

Eric Hoffer
Every era has a currency that buys souls. In some the currency is pride, in others it is hope, in still others it is a holy cause. There are of course times when hard cash will buy souls, and the remarkable thing is that such times are marked by civility, tolerance, and the smooth working of everyday life.
Back to top Go down
whisper

whisper

PostSubject: Re: Quotes on humor and truth   Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 9:12 am

Carl W. Buechner
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quotes on humor and truth   Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 1:45 pm

The ability and inclination to use physical strength is no indication of bravery or tenacity to life. The greatest cowards are often the greatest bullies. Nothing is cheaper and more common than physical bravery.

-- Clarence Darrow
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quotes on humor and truth   Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 3:00 am

Truth is the most valuable thing we have. Let us economize it.
Mark Twain
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quotes on humor and truth   Quotes on humor and truth - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Quotes on humor and truth
Page 5 of 20Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next