janakimack
tonnie_rocca
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
WAMcKinley

WAMcKinley

Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Announcement referred to the 1st of April   Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 5:22 am

dyebat wrote:
And now, more than you ever knew about Ugg boots. First off, originally a lot of companies made ugg boots before one company copyrighted the name-- a little like someone copyrighting "sandal" as a proprietary name. That company now has them manufactured in China (surprise, surprise). However, there are still small companies in New Zealand who make them there. And their prices are lower. I linked one below. Their mid-calf boots (the kind I shovel snow in) are 58.95 US$$. The most expensive tall ones are 158.95 US $$ and both INCLUDE International Air delivery to the US; shipping info for other countries is also given. My next pair (if the current ones ever wear out) will be from there cause I'd like to help out the poor flooded Kiwis more than the Chinese.

http://www.kiwi-sheepskins.com/sheepskin-boots.asp

Dyebat, you are a veritable fount of useful and important information! I'm so glad you're here! What, if anything, is on your feet in Hawaii??
Back to top Go down
Clix Pix

Clix Pix

PostSubject: Re: Announcement referred to the 1st of April   Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 5:47 am

That is really interesting about the Uggs, Dyebat! I'll have to pull one of mine out of the closet and take a look to see where it was manufactured.....

Ah, in Hawaii, I'll bet flipflops are the name of the game.....
Back to top Go down
bibi

bibi

PostSubject: Re: Announcement referred to the 1st of April   Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 6:14 am

dyebat wrote:
And now, more than you ever knew about Ugg boots. First off, originally a lot of companies made ugg boots before one company copyrighted the name-- a little like someone copyrighting "sandal" as a proprietary name. That company now has them manufactured in China (surprise, surprise). However, there are still small companies in New Zealand who make them there. And their prices are lower. I linked one below. Their mid-calf boots (the kind I shovel snow in) are 58.95 US$$. The most expensive tall ones are 158.95 US $$ and both INCLUDE International Air delivery to the US; shipping info for other countries is also given. My next pair (if the current ones ever wear out) will be from there cause I'd like to help out the poor flooded Kiwis more than the Chinese.

You will find the origin of ugg boots here, as every Ozzie knows Wink As a nation, we 'rode on the sheep's back' for decades. Well, so did and does NZ, but uggs are 'our' invention, er original trademark Popcorn It's now considered a sign of being 'bogan' to wear them here.

Truth be known, they were probably used in Mongolia for centuries and by other less vocal peoples who used different names for said shoes laughfloor It's decades since I wore mine and it might just be the 'ugg argument' for global warming, though human induced? Haven't a clue.
Back to top Go down
dyebat

dyebat

PostSubject: Re: Announcement referred to the 1st of April   Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 6:17 am

WAMcKinley wrote:
dyebat wrote:

Dyebat, you are a veritable fount of useful and important information! I'm so glad you're here! What, if anything, is on your feet in Hawaii??

I go barefoot in the house. But twice a week I have to water & irrigate the whole property amidst volcanic rocks and 2 kinds of thorns that go right through the soles of my crocs. Then I wear very heavy-soled hiking boots. I'll try to post some pictures.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_QZ1eJb9DEgE/TZf95Qs9MnI/AAAAAAAAALA/mmr3qulY7rs/s288/DSCN0120.JPG

This is what the ground looks like--volcanic rock cinders & dust. Sometimes the lava is on the surface, but it's usually an inch or two below the surface. What is sad is that 500 years ago this was all forested. But the Hawaiians cut down the sandalwood trees, and then the Europeans turned their cattle out to eat whatever was left. When they did have rain it washed most of the soil into the ocean. Now rain is rare--0.9 inches per year and we're in the midst of a 10 year drought.

Here's a couple more views, looking downhill at the ocean and uphill at the house. it looks like we'll be working out an arrangement for the next 2 to 5 years where I will be living over here spring, summer and fall, and returning to the mainland for Thanksgiving and Christmas--sort of a reverse snowbird.

I'm very interested in permaculture, so I'll try to help the land as much as i can, but it really needs 20 years of concentrated effort, not 5.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_QZ1eJb9DEgE/TZf6Q1eoKtE/AAAAAAAAAK4/7Lxs_WI6EtY/s144-c/Hawaii.jpg

Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 DSCN0064
Back to top Go down
dyebat

dyebat

PostSubject: Re: Announcement referred to the 1st of April   Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 6:28 am

Another try at pictures.

The soil:
Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 DSCN0120

The ocean:
Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 DSCN0118
Back to top Go down
WAMcKinley

WAMcKinley

PostSubject: Re: Announcement referred to the 1st of April   Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 6:47 am

Oh, my!!! I had no idea it was so arid there! My mental image of Hawaii is of a green and fertile place. Is this condition peculiar to all the islands-------or do different "exposures" have different conditions?? Of course a lot changed in the past ten years if that's the length of the drought. That's a long time!
Back to top Go down
dyebat

dyebat

PostSubject: Re: Announcement referred to the 1st of April   Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 7:11 am

WAMcKinley wrote:
Oh, my!!! I had no idea it was so arid there! My mental image of Hawaii is of a green and fertile place. Is this condition peculiar to all the islands-------or do different "exposures" have different conditions?? Of course a lot changed in the past ten years if that's the length of the drought. That's a long time!

I'm on the Big Island, which has 13 different microclimates. We just happen to be in the desert part, which is along the western coast north of Kona. Go 12 miles east, and it rains almost every day!
Back to top Go down
tonnie_rocca

tonnie_rocca

PostSubject: Re: Announcement referred to the 1st of April   Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 7:20 am

dyebat wrote:
The soil:
Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 DSCN0120
This pic makes me sad, you'll need some millennium to repair the productivity of this soil.

It's so typical of what happens where the (mostly very old) forests are cut, soil washes off and nothing is left.

A quarter to a third to of the earth's surface is in this condition, which is practically irreversible.

And don't believe that generally volcanic soils are fertile and deep, they are only when produced by very fine ash, like here in Naples:

Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 Suolo_10

Some info on the volcanoes of Hawaii here: link.
Back to top Go down
http://www.digiter.it/albaen.htm
tonnie_rocca

tonnie_rocca

PostSubject: Re: Announcement referred to the 1st of April   Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 8:57 am

We were informed that our couple is on their way back from Scotland, each to his/her own city or island or whatever.
The party went as planned, a short visit.It was great fun, with a lot of nice and interesting people. Susan was happy to be among friends and family.

Afterwards they had a pint of bitter in a pub, and then went straight back to their hotel rooms.
Next day they visited Edinburgh and some of the nice sights in the neighbourhood, like the beautiful Rosslyn Chapel, possibly to be used for future reference…

We hope to see an individual account from the two representatives of the Responsible Fandom League (RoFL)... laughfloor laughfloor laughfloor

Here a first impression:

Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 Snoopy12
Back to top Go down
janakimack

janakimack

PostSubject: Re: Announcement referred to the 1st of April   Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 10:11 am

Dyebat: Permaculture definitely the way to go. Breaks my heart to think that sandalwood trees were cut down -and that the rainfall has decreased - permaculture may be one way to persuade the rain to come back again especially if nearby they have rainfall so frequently!!! Have you tried raindancing yet - it works, no lie!!!

Tonnie: Yes, about time we heard from those two vagabonds - tell 'em to come out of hiding now and spill the beans...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Announcement referred to the 1st of April   Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 12:16 pm

Thanks for the heads-up Tonnie. I can't wait to hear all the details. As one of the inaugural members of the Responsible Fandom League ( RoFL laughfloor laughfloor laughfloor ), I am especially keen to hear how they handled the meeting.

I think the delightfully light touch of the peanuts birthday picture is an appropriate metaphor for the whole occasion.
Back to top Go down
janakimack

janakimack

PostSubject: Re: Announcement referred to the 1st of April   Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 12:45 pm

It looks like they're taking their responsibility too literally and they probably are not gonna tell us a thing!!!

No Bawl No Bawl No Bawl No Bawl No Bawl No Bawl No Bawl
Back to top Go down
BettyBoop

BettyBoop

PostSubject: Re: Announcement referred to the 1st of April   Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 3:05 pm

tonnie_rocca wrote:

We were informed that our couple is on their way back from Scotland, each to his/her own city or island or whatever.
The party went as planned, a short visit.It was great fun, with a lot of nice and interesting people. Susan was happy to be among friends and family.

Afterwards they had a pint of bitter in a pub, and then went straight back to their hotel rooms.
Next day they visited Edinburgh and some of the nice sights in the neighbourhood, like the beautiful Rosslyn Chapel, possibly to be used for future reference…

We hope to see an individual account from the two representatives of the Responsible Fandom League (RoFL)... laughfloor laughfloor laughfloor

Here a first impression:

Looking forward to the accounts of the RoFL reps. ROFL ROFL ROFL
Back to top Go down
Wabbit

Wabbit

PostSubject: Re: Announcement referred to the 1st of April   Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 3:13 pm

BettyBoop wrote:
tonnie_rocca wrote:

Here a first impression:

Looking forward to the accounts of the RoFL reps. ROFL ROFL ROFL

This should be very interesting I bet. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Announcement referred to the 1st of April   Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 3:13 pm

Thank goodness someone posted news concerning those two. I thought they went AWOL or were still under some table in the pub sleeping it off.
Back to top Go down
BettyBoop

BettyBoop

PostSubject: Re: Announcement referred to the 1st of April   Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 3:31 pm

dyebat wrote:
WAMcKinley wrote:
dyebat wrote:

I go barefoot in the house. But twice a week I have to water & irrigate the whole property amidst volcanic rocks and 2 kinds of thorns that go right through the soles of my crocs. Then I wear very heavy-soled hiking boots. I'll try to post some pictures.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_QZ1eJb9DEgE/TZf95Qs9MnI/AAAAAAAAALA/mmr3qulY7rs/s288/DSCN0120.JPG

This is what the ground looks like--volcanic rock cinders & dust. Sometimes the lava is on the surface, but it's usually an inch or two below the surface. What is sad is that 500 years ago this was all forested. But the Hawaiians cut down the sandalwood trees, and then the Europeans turned their cattle out to eat whatever was left. When they did have rain it washed most of the soil into the ocean. Now rain is rare--0.9 inches per year and we're in the midst of a 10 year drought.

Here's a couple more views, looking downhill at the ocean and uphill at the house. it looks like we'll be working out an arrangement for the next 2 to 5 years where I will be living over here spring, summer and fall, and returning to the mainland for Thanksgiving and Christmas--sort of a reverse snowbird.

I'm very interested in permaculture, so I'll try to help the land as much as i can, but it really needs 20 years of concentrated effort, not 5.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_QZ1eJb9DEgE/TZf6Q1eoKtE/AAAAAAAAAK4/7Lxs_WI6EtY/s144-c/Hawaii.jpg

Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 DSCN0064

Thanks for this interesting information, Dyebat. How great that you can be there! I hope you post more about your daily chores and adventures there.
Back to top Go down
Clix Pix

Clix Pix

PostSubject: Re: Announcement referred to the 1st of April   Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 5:06 pm

Love that card, Tonnie! And glad to know that eventually we might hear something from each of of our representatives! I'm happy that they had such a nice time and were able to spend some time together!

Dyebat, that is fascinating information, I had not realized that Hawaii isn't all one big green island and that there are arid spots and such. How difficult it will be for that land to ever recover from a ten-year drought! Enjoy your stay there and keep up the good watering!
Back to top Go down
TxTammy

TxTammy

PostSubject: Re: Announcement referred to the 1st of April   Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 5:36 pm

Tonnie, I hope our two reps who went to Susan's party post it Twisted Evil on our main forum, NOT Evil or Very Mad this Visitor section.
Back to top Go down
tonnie_rocca

tonnie_rocca

PostSubject: Re: Announcement referred to the 1st of April   Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 5:40 pm

OliveOyl wrote:
Tonnie, I hope our two reps who went to Susan's party post it Twisted Evil on our main forum, NOT Evil or Very Mad this Visitor section.
O O, didn't you realize that they started to do so already... just for the incrowd??
It's a compromise strategy between intimate PM-circuits and the Guest forum, for security reasons... laughcry laughcry
Back to top Go down
skywriter

skywriter

PostSubject: Re: Announcement referred to the 1st of April   Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 5:55 pm

tonnie_rocca wrote:
OliveOyl wrote:
O O, didn't you realize that they started to do so already... just for the incrowd??
It's a compromise strategy between intimate PM-circuits and the Guest forum, for security reasons... laughcry laughcry
Really. So EW is the model for this site's policy of inclusion. How very egalitarian.
BTW: Are members of the "outcrowd" (we lowly peasants) allowed to purchase a copy of your playbook? Just so we know what to expect?
Back to top Go down
tonnie_rocca

tonnie_rocca

PostSubject: Re: Announcement referred to the 1st of April   Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 6:03 pm

With pleasure I leave the follow up of this game to our real writers (there are a lot here), it went far enough as it went... hiding hiding
Back to top Go down
Lovin' Every Minute

Lovin' Every Minute

PostSubject: Re: Announcement referred to the 1st of April   Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 6:24 pm

I still think that the April 1 reference is making fools of us all . . . . geek lol!
Back to top Go down
BettyBoop

BettyBoop

PostSubject: Re: Announcement referred to the 1st of April   Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 7:47 pm

A bit of trivia.

This is the Queen Kaahumanu Highway north of Kona, which Dyebat must know well. Not a palm tree or lush growth in site. I think they use this highway as part of the Ironman Triathlon in the Fall.

Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 Hawaii10
Back to top Go down
toplass

toplass

PostSubject: Re: Announcement referred to the 1st of April   Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 7:55 pm

Well I certainly am getting an edukayshun on this forum. I honestly thought all of Hawaii was green and lush.

I hope Dyebat posts some more photos Very Happy
Back to top Go down
janakimack

janakimack

PostSubject: Re: Announcement referred to the 1st of April   Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 7:56 pm

Yikes, Betty, this could just as easily be a part of our semi-desert area known as the Karoo in SA...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Announcement referred to the 1st of April   Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 8:37 pm

feistyfilly wrote:
Thank goodness someone posted news concerning those two. I thought they went AWOL or were still under some table in the pub sleeping it off.

What goes on the alley, stays in the alley Laughing Wink
Don't go on buying the braidmaids dresses yet Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Announcement referred to the 1st of April   Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 9:01 pm

lulu wrote:
feistyfilly wrote:

laughcry laughcry laughcry laughcry laughcry laughcry laughcry
Back to top Go down
whisper

whisper

PostSubject: Re: Announcement referred to the 1st of April   Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 9:23 pm

feistyfilly wrote:
lulu wrote:
feistyfilly wrote:

Thank you lulu for getting back on the topic. I wish the two love birds the best and hope they had a great time at the party...
flower
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Announcement referred to the 1st of April   Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 9:36 pm

whisper wrote:
feistyfilly wrote:
lulu wrote:
feistyfilly wrote:

Thank you lulu for getting back on the topic. I wish the two love birds the best and hope they had a great time at the party...
flower

Oh dear, someone let the cat out of the bag. Still, it would have been hard for them to hide the truth for much longer I think. I'm sure they had a great time at the party ... and afterwards.....

I too wish them every happiness flower

ETA: If I have misunderstood their 'friendship', I stand corrected.
Back to top Go down
whisper

whisper

PostSubject: Re: Announcement referred to the 1st of April   Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 10:14 pm

jsm wrote:
whisper wrote:
feistyfilly wrote:
lulu wrote:
feistyfilly wrote:

flower

Oh dear, someone let the cat out of the bag. Still, it would have been hard for them to hide the truth for much longer I think. I'm sure they had a great time at the party ... and afterwards.....

I too wish them every happiness flower

ETA: If I have misunderstood their 'friendship', I stand corrected.

Friendship corrected .... clapping stirpot
Back to top Go down
dyebat

dyebat

PostSubject: Re: Announcement referred to the 1st of April   Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 10:21 am

BettyBoop wrote:
A bit of trivia.

This is the Queen Kaahumanu Highway north of Kona, which Dyebat must know well. Not a palm tree or lush growth in site. I think they use this highway as part of the Ironman Triathlon in the Fall.

Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 Hawaii10

Yep, our property borders this highway, and the Ironman goes right along it. We did encounter a triathlon on this highway this morning. I'll try to get pictures of the 2 differenont kinds of lava along the road--a'a and pahoehoe. Like the areas in Volcanoes National Park, they make you feel like you're on another planet. When I was here 9 years ago, we could get as close as 15 feet from an active lava flow, but last month Kilauea started a more violent eruption. There were fountains of lava as high as 80 feet, and the floor of the crater dropped 377 feet, so much of the area near the volcano has been closed to the public.

This is a link to a brief video of last month's eruption, which is still going on, but less violently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SNElvauEIY&feature=related
Back to top Go down
Emmylou

Emmylou

PostSubject: Re: Announcement referred to the 1st of April   Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 12:33 pm

Just finished reading this old topic and I have never laughed so much in MY LIFE!!! As a relatively new member of the RoFL, I am very happy that 2 members from DJGs went. Were any from EW invited? Hope not. tongue
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Announcement referred to the 1st of April   Announcement referred to the 1st of April - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Announcement referred to the 1st of April
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5